Papilio One 500K
The Papilio One 500K comes fully assembled with a Xilinx XC3S500E and 4Mbit SPI Flash memory.
Papilio is an open-source FPGA project intended for education, hobbyists, engineers, or anyone interested in learning Digital Electronics in a friendly community.
The Papilio provides an easy introduction to FPGA,Digital Electronics, and SOC (System on a Chip)design.
Quickly learn client-level programming to build your own supercharged parallel processing projects.
Get ideas up and running quickly with simple hardware designed for rapid prototyping.
What is Papilio
Latin for butterfly, Papilio conveys the ability of an FPGA to undergo "digital metamorphosis".
Papilio draws inspiration from the friendly Arduino learning environment. The Arduino has proven that a complicated topic can be packaged into an easy to use format.
The Papilio One provides six 8-bit Wing slots that allow the use of premade hardware modules, community designed modules, or your own custom designed modules.
For more information including quickstart guides and all downloads visit the Papilio.cc community.
Papilio One Specifications
- Four independent power rails at 5V, 3.3V, 2.5V, and 1.2V.
- Power supplied by a power connector or USB.
- Two channel USB connection for JTAG and serial communications implemented with FT2232.
- EEPROM memory to store configuration settings for FT2232 USB chip.
- 32MHz oscillator that can be used by Xilinx's DCM to generate any required clock speed.
- VTQFP-100 footprint that supports Xilinx XC3S100E, XC3S250E, and XC3S500E parts.
- Bank 0-3 can be jumpered to support 1.2V, 2.5V, or 3.3V.
- Xilinx JTAG header supports Xilinx JTAG cables.
- Power and I/O are routed to the side headers.
- Board can be used with Bread Boards if only the outside row of the side headers is populated.
- Easily add new functionality to the Papilio One with Wings that snap onto the board.
- 48 bidirectional I/O lines which can be split up as:
- 1 - 32 Bit Wing or
- 3 - 16 Bit Wings or
- 6 - 8 Bit Wings
- Spartan 3E FPGA
Not sure whether to purchase the Papilio One 250K or Papilio One 500K? Take a look at this comparison page.
The Papilio One does not ship with the headers populated in order to allow the end user the greatest flexibility in deciding the final configuration. Headers can be ordered along with the Papilio One.
The recommended configuration is to use Female Headers on the Papilio One's Wing Sockets and to use Male Headers on the Wings.
This open source hardware and software is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. If you can't accept this risk, please do not buy this hardware.
For more information, please visit this products webpage.